Understanding Energy Availability
What is it?
Energy availability is the amount of energy you have to fuel your body’s needs after you subtract out the calories (energy) you use for exercise.
Low Energy Availability means you do not have enough calories (energy) for you body’s needs AND for exercise!
Signs and Symptoms of Low Energy Availability
- You may not be eating enough if you experience any of the following:
- Feel tired and fatigued
- Decrease in athletic performance
- Problems concentrating
- Irregular periods
- Fractures or recurring injuries
Outcomes of Low Energy Availability.
- Your body must alter important physiological systems that involve growth and reproduction to conserve energy for survival
- This leads to slower metabolism, menstrual disturbances and problems with bone health